7.23.2010

Tradition?

It can be hard to start new traditions, but there's one tradition that I've actually enjoyed being a part of the last few years. It started just a few months after I started working at KSL. I was given the task of producing 4 stories for KSL's broadcast of the Days of '47 Parade. Having never lived in Salt Lake, I had no idea where to begin. Luckily, I got some help.

Luckily my sister-in-law Meagan, and her mom Janice are parade junkies and had been for a long time. It started with Janice. It had been a tradition in her family to watch the parade from Main Street, and it got passed down to Meagan who slept out every year to get a good spot on the route until she started having babies. Now, she just gets up really early to get a good spot.

They've included me the last 3 years, and I have so enjoyed watching the parade with them. Which brings me back to the point of this whole post. I was sitting at lunch with some women from St. George the other day and somehow the parade came up. I said I was going. Then, all but one of the women asked what parade I was talking about. I replied, "I go every year, it's tradition."

Sometimes, traditions start without us even knowing. It's fun, and it's fun to include others in our traditions. I'm so thankful I was included in a tradition that started so many, many years ago.

* These are the only pictures I've ever taken at the parade. So sad. I'm for sure going to be better at documenting our parade watching!

1 comment:

  1. Parades are the BEST! Especially the small town parades that let you and your kids be in them. For example, Willard does a fourth of July parade and will let you (well the kids) decorate bikes and ride as an entry. So fun! It's fun to watch too.

    ReplyDelete