10.24.2011

DIY: Painted Ikea Curtains

Thanks to the Internet and Pinterest - my Mom and I were inspired to Paint Ikea curtains for Baby Boy's nursery. It only took a few hours, and was so easy.

Step 1: Measure
 Decide how big you want your stripes. The curtains I bought from Ikea were about 101" long so we decided to do 4" stripes with a little extra white space at the top and bottom. Math is not my speciality, so I had my husband figure it out for us. I started at the bottom and measured 4.5" inches, then 4" all the way to the top.

Step 2: Tape
Blue painter's tape worked fine. It was a little difficult to get the curtains completely flat even after I ironed them, but I was surprised at how little it mattered.





Step 3: Paint
I took Baby Boy's crib bedding to Home Depot, and had the perfect blue matched. It definitely didn't take a gallon, that's just what we ended up with. We used little sponge rollers, and they worked great. We only did one coat, but I'd probably suggest doing 2 coats. When we hung the curtains there were some less painted spots, and we had to go back and repaint those areas. They still don't look great, but would have if we would have done 2 coats.



Step 4: Hang
This isn't the best picture of the finished product. I'll save those for a later date - maybe when I get the nursery put together.

3 comments:

  1. I was telling my friend about this today and how I wanted it for my living room, I am so doing it. I am glad it really works. I also saw it on pinterest. It's such a good idea. I cant find curtains I want anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are unbelievable! Next time you do a project I've got to come and learn. Remember how I tried to do the ghosts after you and your mom did them, well we saw how that turned out (they are long gone). The curtains are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The diy painted ikea curtains is shown in the post here. Useful post

    Hunter Douglas

    ReplyDelete