7.12.2010

Braid Headband



This one I've been trying to do for a really long time. But like I said, it takes a little bit of longer hair to pull this one off.
But trust me, there are always ways to do these, even if you have to just try and experiment a little...
This is the picture that has been my inspiration for who knows how long...

What can I say, her hair is to die for. Messy but also very put together.
Well, obviously, I don't have a professional to do my hair everyday, so there are definately differences, but sometimes you have to just play around with it enough so it works for you.
This is the final outcome...

Here are the steps to getting the "real hair braided headband"
(and a disclosure is that I had my hair like this before bed and my roommate
thought it was hilarious, hence the picture of me in glasses. Anyway...)

Take your hair, parted, straight back, how every you prefer and lift the top section up.
Like this....

Then, pull hair out from both sides, or one side if you prefer just a smaller braid up top.
Then you braid both sides, but make sure that the braid you do is braided under, and not over like normal.
This is also known as an "outside" braid.
(I use small clear elastics, that way I know for sure the braid will stay and not fall)
Then, once you have braided both sides, or one side, depending on your choosing,
take one side and cross it over the top of your head. Grab the bobby pins (preferable to match your hair color) and start pinning.
(HINT: I've found that if you don't open the bobby pin, and just slide it in, it holds the hair better and much more tight).
Then repeat until it is secure enough and feel confident it won't fall.

Now, the last part is up to you.
The first time I tried this, I ended up just putting the left over hair back into a low bun. But you can do whatever you feel is most comfortable.
What I found looks best, and it is how my hair is in the top picture, is I split the hair in half, and twisted each side and swept it across the back of my head, if that makes any sense, and pinned until that side felt secure enough to stay, then repeated to the other side.


An alternative to doing this, if you feel as if your hair isn't long enough is to
buy the actual braided hair headbands. Google them in, and they should work like a charm.
They have them pretty cheap at sephora.com.

Be creative and have fun. Don't worry about it looking perfect or looking a certain way.
This hairstyle is fun and different and sure to get compliments.
Good luck. It'll be great!
(And feel free to comment if you have further questions...)

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Can't wait until my hair gets a bit longer and I can do this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete