8.21.2010

Sleep Training: Round 1

First off, thanks everyone for your comments of support. I keep telling myself, if other people can do it so can I. Isn't it funny how when you're in the middle of something it feels like the biggest thing ever?

So, I had two failed attempts before I geared up and got mentally prepared to really give Sleep Training a valiant effort. I read about The Sleep Sense Program when I was pregnant. I totally bought into the whole thing, and then life happens and baby comes and I kind of forgot everything I had read.

I re-read it with Darin and decided we'd try the 'Stay in the Room' option. I decided not to wait until night time when I was tired, so I went for Round 1 for Linley's 1st nap of the day.

It didn't start off very good. She screamed the minute I even stepped toward the crib. But, I stayed strong. I sat in the rocking chair and with a soft voice told her over and over it was going to be okay, that it was sleepy time. I'd reach out and touch her hand occasionally. I walked up to her and laid her down several times. I even took her out of the crib, held her and put her back in. She cried for about 40 minutes ... but eventually she gave in and fell asleep. It felt so good to stay strong. I was surprised it only took 40 minutes. That's still a long time, but I really felt like there was no way she'd ever give in. It was good that she did, because now I know that eventually she will. I needed to see it happen.

The pictures really tell the whole story. I've got to be the worst mom for taking pictures during the whole ordeal. She would not let go of that dolly. I'm sure that's not part of the plan, but oh well at least she didn't have her pacifier. That's really off limits.














1 comment:

  1. You're totally not alone - most of us go through some form of this.

    At our one year appointment, our doc made some recommendations. One thing I was doing right (among the other things I wasn't!) was keeping Belle's favorite blanket with her when we put her down for a nap. That way, she can "self soothe," as the doc said. I think the dolly is perfectly fine - it's her little comfort object.

    I had a friend who allowed the pacifier ONLY when napping - an idea? (Belle rejected the pacifier at like six months or I'd totally rely on it, trust me!) She then phased it out by about 18 months to two years.

    Good luck!

    (And I love this blog. :) )

    ReplyDelete